Saturday, April 25, 2009

Froggie Goes A Courtin'

I'm sure that none of you wants to see a photo of my frogging techniques. I had posted a photo of my meager beginnings of my QS Iris, after many mis-starts, on my personal blog, and was going to duplicate it here, after I had completed a little more on it. There just wasn't that much to see!

Well, now there is even less. I had been debating as to whether to stitch with the two threads, as indicated in the pattern, or a single (I'm using a 20 count). I even did a sample stitching on the corner, and couldn't decide. .one is too lumpy looking, while the other shows the fabric. .what to do, what to do. .well, after getting two completed blocks done, I looked at it this morning, in strong natural light, without any sight aides, REALLY up close and personal, since I am so nearsighted, and with the two threads, it is just totally unacceptable. I'm going to have to live with some fabric peeking through, I guess.

In all of my years of stitching, I have never ever had so much frustration and problems in getting a project just started!! Yeah, I've got a couple of UFO's laying around, but one is almost done. .the other was one that I would take with me to work on while in Dr's offices, and I know that it will get done too, but they were well along before I put them aside. .and still haven't considered them out of my life forever. But my Iris pattern? I'm getting the feeling that the Stitching Goddess is trying to tell me something! lol

So after I get through pulling out all of those threads, I'm going to start with the single thread. If I don't fall into a natural rhythm, and look forward to working on it, then I'm going to set it aside and try another pattern. As my stash basket knows, I've got a lot of HAED to choose from. (sigh)

Every day, I see all of your wonderful patterns coming to life, and I can't even get past the first couple of blocks. .I feel so discouraged right now. .but hopefully, once Mr. Froggie gets through with his tea and crumpets and moves on, I'll feel better. .at least I'll feel like I'm starting anew. .again.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend! At least with one froggie in residence here, you won't have to worry about a visit! lol

10 comments:

Jan said...

Maybe you could try a smaller count like 22 instead of 20. That might give you better coverage.

Sabine S. said...

I'm so sorry that Iris is giving you so much trouble! I know how you feel, I've been there. I'm having a love/hate relationship with QS Storykeeper right now. Almost two weeks ago, I put her aside and started QS Steam Punk Fairy, which I absolutely love and she is such a different/better stitching experience. Give it another try and then put it away if necessary. Once you have some progress on another piece maybe you'll pick it back up. Hang in there!
Sabine

http://ingridsknitting.blogspot.be/ said...

Hi Suzie,I am so sorry that Iris is so difficult, the pattern is the other one not, perhaps try and if you do not like late Iris rest and maybe later ...

Elfie said...

Hang in there, Suzie - this too will pass. I can totally empathise with you - I went through a similar trauma when I started Jolly Old Fellow (on 22 count). My compromise was continental/tent stitch with 2 strands, and I am happy with the coverage that gives. Of course, the other thing is NOT to look too closely at your work - it's meant to be viewed from a little distance for best effect. Hope that froggie is gone soon.

Suzie said...

Thank you for your support and suggestions!

I'm feeling much better now. I sat down and removed those stitches for the two hours that Prairie Home Companion is on NPR, and then started stitching with a single strand.

It took a little getting used to, but I'm liking how it looks now, and not that much fabric is showing. .and for what does show, my theory of buying lightly dyed blue fabric is holding true. .no glare. It blends in!

I'm a happy camper once again! lol Now my only problem is that I want to stay up late and at least get up to where I was before, but I can't if I want to get up super early and be at the antique market early. lol It takes an hour to get there, and it is supposed to be hot tomorrow, plus we want to beat the crowd.

So I had better go get some quality snooze time in!

Sweet dreams, everyone!!

Cindy F. said...

Hey lady! I'm stitching 1 over 1 on 25 ct. and I see the ivory peaking through in places. But when you back off it, I don't even notice it. I kept trying 2 threads, then 1, then 2, then 1...lol. Anyway, we are our own worst critics;) Whichever way you choose, I'm sure is going to be fine:)
(((HUGS)))

Wendy said...

So sorry to read you have so much trouble with the Iris. Maybe it might be better to set it aside for a little while and start a new one. This might give you more encouragement. We will keep you cheering up here too;)

Yoyo said...

I have been slogging through my storykeep for almost 2 years!!!!! Talk about discouraged. I think for me it's that it's such a small thing and I just can't seem to get far on it. Over 90 colors in a book mark and sometimes I think every 10 block square has at least 20 colors. I have been really down about this little piece so I do know where you are coming from. I did put mine aside for about two months -- but I was doing Christmas stitching so didn't really feel too bad about it at the time. I think it helped me 'want' to get back to it. The good news is, I made sooooo many technique mistakes on the storykeep that I'm feeling really good about starting the larger piece -- I now know what NOT to do. I hope you feel like you can progress now and please don't be too discouraged, all this is part of the learning curve and will serve you well in later projects.

Annie Bee said...

I went through a similar process when I first started stitching over 1 and just couldn't make up my mind. In fact I started one piece over after doing nearly a page. I went to a smaller count which I just love so hang in there. Hugs

Carolyn NC said...

Sorry you're having such problems. Good luck with the new start.