Sunday, April 12, 2009

New Fabric Arrived!

My replacement fabric for my QS Iris arrived yesterday, and I spent most of the afternoon and evening putting grid lines in it. I'm still not done, but it is going a lot faster and easier than with the Dublin.

I've been reading everyone's entries, and am discovering that I'm not the only one who is having difficulties with seeing the higher count fabrics, so you might want to try what I have just done, and see if it helps.

I bought a 20 count lugana from Silk Weavers, and I LOVE the fabric!! With getting a 20 count, it isn't going to be that much bigger than the 25, but is easier to see.

But that isn't the only change I made. .since the Iris has so many blues and purples in it, I bought a piece in the Silver Mist color. It is the lightest, prettiest silvery blue, that has subtle shading in it. I figure that it is going to be completely covered in threads anyway, but, if I decide to do 1 over 1, there may be little peeks of fabric, and this color will look like a lovely background instead of the white glaring through. .and, the biggie, which is why I really ordered it in this lightest of light colors. . . .I can see the weave of the fabric better!!

Working under my bright Ott light, the white was creating such a glare, that was making it hard to focus on the weave, and it was hurting my eyes, causing me a headache. (although I didn't know it at the time) Take away the Ott light, and it was harder to see the weave, so that wasn't the answer.

It is hard to believe that just that slightest of color shift can make a difference, but it sure did for me! Like I said, I've been working on it for hours at a time, and the gridding is singing along! I think that from now on, whenever I am stitching something in the higher counts, no matter if the fabric shows or not, I'm going to buy tinted pieces that coordinate with the pattern.

This is one experiment that has turned out very well!

On a more humorous note, I was looking at the QS Iris pattern, and discovered that the very first stitch in the very first block, is a confetti stitch! Aaaack!!! I'm off to a roaring start! lol

I hope that everyone had a beautiful weekend, and a great start to a great week!!

6 comments:

http://ingridsknitting.blogspot.be/ said...

Suzie gosh, what good for you, I know so little from the tissue and have much to learn, I always stitch Aïda but I have already seen so many beautiful fabrics

beth said...

It's great to find a fabric that works for you! can't wait to see your start on Iris- it's a beautiful chart!

Cindy F. said...

Suzie! What a great idea! I'm so glad that's working well for you and definetly something for me to consider on my next project:) Thanks for sharing...I love good tips and ideas:)

Too funny that you're first stitch was a confetti stitch!!

(((HUGS)))

Carolyn NC said...

Sounds beautiful - looking forward to pics!

Wendy said...

Sounds great! Can't wait to see your start on it :)

Yoyo said...

I really can notice the difference between WHITE and any slight shading -- especially on my stitching and on the computer screen. If it's really white white it is so hard for my eyes to focus, but if you put any little bit of shading into it it becomes 90% easier to see, almost all my stitching is done on 'off white' just because of this. I thought about going with 20 count but then decided I prefer my magnifier and I'm so used to it it makes no difference for me at all.